Quality Clayton, MO dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Clayton, MO: an extremely common dental problem that we all hope we can avoid. Luckily, Clayton, MO dentistry has come a long way from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in Clayton, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals in the Clayton, MO area, we provide quality dental treatments and procedures that are effective against dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Clayton, MO region. Find out more about our Clayton, MO area dental services or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but exactly what that pain feels like can be different–as well as the accompanying symptoms–depending on the source of the toothache. When you have a toothache in Clayton, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Production of pus near the infected tooth
- An unpleasant taste or smell coming from the tooth
Clayton, MO Causes of Toothache
A toothache can have various causes. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, filled with a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are very small and barely visible, but if left untreated, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities can crack or shift out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Clayton, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Clayton, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. Impaction applies pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You could be suffering from toothache symptoms that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Clayton, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to practice proper oral hygiene and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. Unfotunately, though, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. While sometimes a toothache can be resolved without professional care, your Clayton, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Clayton, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. In a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it to remove all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Clayton, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. The Clayton, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center is qualified to provide a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Clayton, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection may be managed with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Clayton, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Clayton, MO begins by} determining the source of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Clayton, MO team of dental care professionals provides families across the Clayton, MO area access to skilled dental care, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.