Quality Shrewsbury, MO dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache Shrewsbury, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental ailment that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, the Shrewsbury, MO dental profession has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Shrewsbury, MO, it is important that you seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in Shrewsbury, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals in the Shrewsbury, MO area, we provide quality dental treatments and procedures that effectively address toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for all dental patients in the Greater Shrewsbury, MO area. Learn more about our Shrewsbury, MO area dental services or schedule your toothache treatment today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but exactly what that pain feels like can differ–as well as the other symptoms–and are based on the origin of the toothache. When you have a toothache in Shrewsbury, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums surrounding the tooth
- Red appearance around the affected area
- Production of pus around the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Shrewsbury, MO Causes of Toothache
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, filled with nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or visible. However, when cavities are untreated, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities have the potential to crack or move out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Shrewsbury, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. An abscess-related toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it at night or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Shrewsbury, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – It is common for wisdom teeth to become impacted as they begin to come in. Impaction applies pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You may experience a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Shrewsbury, MO
The best defense against toothaches is preventative care, including practicing oral health and safety when playing sports. However, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. Though certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, your Shrewsbury, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Shrewsbury, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it as an access point to remove all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while getting rid of the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Shrewsbury, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Shrewsbury, MO toothache treatment team can perform a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Shrewsbury, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. For example, an infected tooth may be managed with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office
- Pediatric Dentist
- Dental Restoration
Dental Care for Your Toothache Shrewsbury, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Shrewsbury, MO begins by} identifying the cause of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Shrewsbury, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the Shrewsbury, MO area access to skilled dental services, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. You do not have to live with ongoing toothache pain. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.