Access professional dental care that treats your toothache at the source
Toothache Crestwood, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental complaint that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, Crestwood, MO dentistry has come a long way in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Dental care is important, and you should be able to put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Crestwood, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals around Crestwood, MO, we provide quality dental work and procedures that work to target toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for all dental patients in the Greater Crestwood, MO area. Find out more about our Crestwood, MO area dental services or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but exactly what that pain feels like can vary–as well as the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the source of the toothache. When you have a toothache in Crestwood, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Pus or drainage from the infected tooth
- An unpleasant taste or smell coming from the tooth
Crestwood, MO Toothache Causes
A toothache can have various causes. Teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, filled with nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or noticeable. However, when cavities are unaddressed, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can crack or move out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Crestwood, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. An abscess-related toothache usually come with swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it in their sleep or when stressed. The grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Crestwood, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This puts pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth based on their location and orientation.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You may experience a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection that creates pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive medical attention for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Crestwood, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to practice proper oral care and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. Unfotunately, though, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. While sometimes a toothache can be resolved without professional care, there are several effective treatments your Crestwood, MO dentist can provide that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Crestwood, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it to clear out all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infected areas and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Crestwood, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Crestwood, MO toothache treatment team is qualified to provide a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Crestwood, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection may be treated by taking antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Crestwood, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Crestwood, MO begins by} identifying the source of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Crestwood, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center provides families across the Crestwood, MO area quality dental care, including treatments for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.