Quality Bel-Ridge, MO dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Bel-Ridge, MO: an extremely common dental ailment that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, Bel-Ridge, MO dentistry has come a long way in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in Bel-Ridge, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals in the Bel-Ridge, MO area, we bring quality dental work and procedures that work to target dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Bel-Ridge, MO area. Get more information about our Bel-Ridge, MO area dental services or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but the quality and type of pain can differ–as well as the accompanying symptoms–depending on the origin of the toothache. Developing a toothache in Bel-Ridge, MO can cause various sensations, such as:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Pus or drainage near the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Bel-Ridge, MO Causes of Toothache
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extremely sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely noticeable, but if left untreated, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities have the potential to break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Bel-Ridge, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. This type of toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth at night or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Bel-Ridge, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – It is common for wisdom teeth to become impacted as they begin to come in. Impaction puts pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental issue. You may experience a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Rather, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, it is best to first receive the proper medical treatment for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Bel-Ridge, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is preventative care, including practicing oral hygiene and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without treatment by a dental professional, your Bel-Ridge, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Bel-Ridge, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while removing the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Bel-Ridge, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Bel-Ridge, MO toothache treatment team can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your Bel-Ridge, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. For example, an infected tooth may be managed with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Bel-Ridge, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Bel-Ridge, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Bel-Ridge, MO begins by} understanding the origin of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Bel-Ridge, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center provides families across the Bel-Ridge, MO area quality dental services, including treatments for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.