Access professional dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache Bel-Ridge, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental condition that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, the Bel-Ridge, MO dental profession has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Bel-Ridge, MO, it is important that you seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in Bel-Ridge, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. As leaders among dental professionals around Bel-Ridge, MO, we provide excellent dental work and procedures that effectively address dental ailments like toothaches for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Bel-Ridge, MO area. Find out more on the dental care we provide in the Bel-Ridge, MO area or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but the quality and type of pain can differ–in addition to the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the cause of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Bel-Ridge, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums around the tooth
- Redness around the affected area
- Production of pus around the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
Bel-Ridge, MO Toothache Causes
Many different conditions and occurrences can cause a toothache. Our teeth are actually made up of soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, which consists of nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely discernible, but if left untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities have the potential to break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Bel-Ridge, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. An abscess-related toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth at night or when stressed. The grinding causes the nerves inside the tooth to become irritated, causing a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Bel-Ridge, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – It is common for wisdom teeth to become impacted as they begin to come in. Impaction introduces pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth based on their location and orientation.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental issue. You may experience a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, you should first seek the proper medical treatment for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Bel-Ridge, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to maintain your oral health and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without professional care, your Bel-Ridge, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Bel-Ridge, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. They work against a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infected areas and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Bel-Ridge, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Bel-Ridge, MO toothache treatment team can perform a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Bel-Ridge, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection could be managed with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
- Emergency Dentistry
Dental Care for Your Toothache Bel-Ridge, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Bel-Ridge, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Bel-Ridge, MO begins by} identifying the source of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Bel-Ridge, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center provides families across the Bel-Ridge, MO area access to skilled dental care, including treatments for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.