Access professional dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Dellwood, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental problem that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, Dellwood, MO dentistry has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Dellwood, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental providers in the Dellwood, MO area, we provide quality dental services that are effective against dental ailments like toothaches for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Dellwood, MO region. Find out more on the dental care we provide in the Dellwood, MO area or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but the quality and type of pain can be different–as well as the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the origin of the toothache. When you have a toothache in Dellwood, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Red appearance around the affected area
- Pus or drainage near the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Dellwood, MO Toothache Causes
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely visible, but if left untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Dellwood, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. This type of toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it in their sleep or when stressed. Habitual grinding causes the nerves inside the tooth to become irritated, causing a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that tooth roots may become exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Dellwood, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. Impaction applies pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental issue. You may experience a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Dellwood, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is preventative care, including practicing oral hygiene and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without treatment by a dental professional, there are several effective treatments your Dellwood, MO dentist can provide that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Dellwood, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. During a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it as an access point to clear out all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while getting rid of the infected areas and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Dellwood, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Dellwood, MO toothache treatment team can perform a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your Dellwood, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. An infection may be managed by taking antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office
- Pediatric Dentist
- Dental Restoration
Dental Care for Your Toothache Dellwood, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Dellwood, MO begins by} understanding the cause of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Dellwood, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the Dellwood, MO area quality dental care, including treatments to address toothache pain. You do not have to live with ongoing toothache pain. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.