Quality Hanley Hills, MO dental care that treats your toothache at the source
Toothache Hanley Hills, MO: an extremely common dental complaint that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, the Hanley Hills, MO dental profession has come a long way in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Hanley Hills, MO, it is important that you put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
When you need relief from your toothache in Hanley Hills, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. As leaders among dental providers in the Hanley Hills, MO area, we bring excellent dental work and procedures that effectively address toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Hanley Hills, MO region. Learn more on the dental care we provide in the Hanley Hills, MO area or schedule your toothache treatment today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but the quality and type of pain can vary–as well as the other symptoms–depending on the origin of the toothache. Developing a toothache in Hanley Hills, MO can cause various sensations, such as:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Pus or drainage near the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
Hanley Hills, MO Causes of Toothache
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, which consists of a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely visible, but if left unaddressed, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities have the potential to break or move out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Hanley Hills, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can spread to the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. This type of toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it at night or when stressed. The grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that tooth roots may become exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Hanley Hills, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. Impaction puts pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental issue. You could be suffering from a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Hanley Hills, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to practice proper oral hygiene and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. However, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. While sometimes a toothache can be resolved without treatment by a dental professional, your Hanley Hills, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Hanley Hills, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. They work against a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to clear out all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while getting rid of the infected areas and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Hanley Hills, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. The Hanley Hills, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Hanley Hills, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. For example, an infected tooth may be treated with antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache Hanley Hills, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Hanley Hills, MO begins by} understanding the origin of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Hanley Hills, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center provides families across the Hanley Hills, MO area quality dental care, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.