Access professional dental care that treats your toothache at the source
Toothache Hanley Hills, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental plight that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, the Hanley Hills, MO dental profession has come a long way in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Hanley Hills, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental providers in the Hanley Hills, MO area, we bring excellent dental work and procedures that effectively address toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Hanley Hills, MO area. Find out more on the dental care we provide in the Hanley Hills, MO area or schedule your toothache treatment today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but exactly what that pain feels like can vary–in addition to the other symptoms–depending on the source of the toothache. Developing a toothache in Hanley Hills, MO can cause various sensations, such as:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Red appearance around the affected area
- Production of pus near the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Hanley Hills, MO Toothache Causes
Many different conditions and occurrences can cause a toothache. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or visible. However, when cavities are unaddressed, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities can break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Hanley Hills, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth at night or when stressed. The grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that tooth roots may become exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Hanley Hills, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This introduces pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You could be suffering from a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Instead, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection putting pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek the proper medical treatment for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Hanley Hills, MO
The best defense against toothaches is preventative care, including practicing oral care and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without professional care, there are several effective treatments your Hanley Hills, MO dentist can provide that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Hanley Hills, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. Both work against a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it to clear out all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Hanley Hills, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Hanley Hills, MO toothache treatment team is qualified to provide a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Hanley Hills, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection may be managed with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Hanley Hills, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Hanley Hills, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Hanley Hills, MO begins by} understanding the source of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Hanley Hills, MO team of dental care professionals offers families across the Hanley Hills, MO area quality dental care, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.