Quality Olivette, MO dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache Olivette, MO: an extremely common dental ailment that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, the Olivette, MO dental profession has come a long way from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Olivette, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals around Olivette, MO, we bring quality dental treatments and procedures that work to target toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for all dental patients in the Greater Olivette, MO area. Get more information about our Olivette, MO area dental services or schedule your toothache treatment today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can be different–in addition to the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the origin of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Olivette, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums around the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Pus or drainage from the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
Olivette, MO Causes of Toothache
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Teeth are actually made up of soft tissue on the inside, filled with nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extraordinarily sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely noticeable, but if left unaddressed, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities can break or shift out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Olivette, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. This type of toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it at night or when stressed. Habitual grinding can turn into a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Olivette, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – It is common for wisdom teeth to become impacted as they begin to come in. Impaction puts pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth based on their location and orientation.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental issue. You may experience a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive medical attention for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Olivette, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to practice proper oral care and safety when playing sports. However, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. While certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, your Olivette, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Olivette, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while getting rid of the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Olivette, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Olivette, MO toothache treatment team can perform a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your Olivette, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. An infection could be managed by taking antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Olivette, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Olivette, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Olivette, MO begins by} identifying the cause of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Olivette, MO team of dental care professionals offers families across the Olivette, MO area access to skilled dental care, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.