Access professional dental care that treats your toothache at the source
Toothache Maplewood, MO: an extremely common dental problem that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, Maplewood, MO dentistry has come a long way from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Maplewood, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. As leaders among dental professionals in the Maplewood, MO area, we bring excellent dental services that work to target dental ailments like toothaches for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Maplewood, MO region. Learn more about our Maplewood, MO area dental services or schedule your toothache treatment today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but exactly what that pain feels like can differ–as well as the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the source of the toothache. Developing a toothache in Maplewood, MO can cause various sensations, such as:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Pus or drainage near the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
Maplewood, MO Causes of Toothache
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Teeth are actually made up of soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extraordinarily sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or detectable, but if left untreated, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities have the potential to break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Maplewood, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache usually come with swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. The grinding can turn into a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Maplewood, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – It is common for wisdom teeth to become impacted as they begin to come in. This applies pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental condition. You may experience toothache symptoms that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Rather, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection putting pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, it is best to first receive medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Maplewood, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to maintain your oral hygiene and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. While certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, there are several effective treatments your Maplewood, MO dentist can provide that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Maplewood, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it to remove all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while removing the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Maplewood, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Maplewood, MO toothache treatment team can perform a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Maplewood, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection could be managed by taking antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Maplewood, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Maplewood, MO begins by} understanding the origin of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Maplewood, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the Maplewood, MO area access to skilled dental services, including treatments for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.