Access professional dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Ferguson, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental condition that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, Ferguson, MO dentistry has come a long way from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Ferguson, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals around Ferguson, MO, we bring quality dental work and procedures that work to target dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for all dental patients in the Greater Ferguson, MO region. Find out more about our Ferguson, MO area dental services or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but the quality and type of pain can be different–in addition to the accompanying symptoms–depending on the cause of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Ferguson, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Production of pus near the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Ferguson, MO Toothache Causes
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Our teeth are actually made up of soft tissue on the inside, filled with a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extraordinarily sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are very small and barely detectable, but if left untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can crack or move out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Ferguson, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. The grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Ferguson, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This introduces pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental issue. You may experience toothache symptoms that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Rather, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection putting pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Ferguson, MO
The best defense against toothaches is preventative care, including practicing oral hygiene and safety when playing sports. However, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without professional care, there are several effective treatments your Ferguson, MO dentist can provide that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Ferguson, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. Both work against a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it to clear out all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while getting rid of the infected areas and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Ferguson, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Ferguson, MO toothache treatment team is qualified to provide a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Ferguson, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. For example, an infected tooth could be managed by taking antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache Ferguson, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Ferguson, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Ferguson, MO begins by} identifying the source of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Ferguson, MO team of dental care professionals provides families across the Ferguson, MO area access to skilled dental care, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.