Access professional dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Webster Groves, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental issue that we all hope we can avoid. Luckily, the Webster Groves, MO dental profession has made significant advances in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Webster Groves, MO, it is important that you seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in Webster Groves, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals around Webster Groves, MO, we bring quality dental work and procedures that are effective against dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for all dental patients in the Greater Webster Groves, MO area. Find out more about our Webster Groves, MO area dental services or schedule your toothache treatment today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but exactly what that pain feels like can differ–as well as the other symptoms–depending on the cause of the toothache. When you have a toothache in Webster Groves, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums around the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Production of pus near the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Webster Groves, MO Toothache Causes
A toothache can have various causes. Teeth are actually made up of soft tissue on the inside, filled with nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extraordinarily sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely detectable, but if left unaddressed, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities have the potential to break or move out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Webster Groves, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it at night or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can turn into a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Webster Groves, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. This puts pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental condition. You could be suffering from toothache symptoms without any of the above dental problems. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Webster Groves, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to practice proper oral care and safety when playing sports. However, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. While certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, there are several effective treatments your Webster Groves, MO dentist can provide that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Webster Groves, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. Both work against a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it to clear out all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while removing the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Webster Groves, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Webster Groves, MO toothache treatment team is qualified to provide the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your Webster Groves, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. For example, an infected tooth may be treated by taking antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Webster Groves, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Webster Groves, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Webster Groves, MO begins by} understanding the source of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Webster Groves, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the Webster Groves, MO area access to skilled dental care, including treatments to address toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.