Quality Webster Groves, MO dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Webster Groves, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental complaint that we all hope we can avoid. Luckily, the Webster Groves, MO dental profession has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Webster Groves, MO, it is important that you put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Webster Groves, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. As leaders among dental providers around Webster Groves, MO, we provide excellent dental work and procedures that are effective against dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Webster Groves, MO area. Learn more on the dental care we provide in the Webster Groves, MO area or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can be different–in addition to the other symptoms–and are based on the source of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Webster Groves, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums surrounding the tooth
- Red appearance around the affected area
- Pus or drainage near the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Webster Groves, MO Toothache Causes
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are very small and barely noticeable. However, when cavities are untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities have the potential to break or move out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Webster Groves, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache usually come with swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it in their sleep or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can turn into a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Webster Groves, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This puts pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental issue. You could be suffering from a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, you should first seek medical attention for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Webster Groves, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to maintain your oral care and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. However, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. Though certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, your Webster Groves, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Webster Groves, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to clear out all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while getting rid of the infected areas and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Webster Groves, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. The Webster Groves, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your Webster Groves, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. For example, an infected tooth may be managed with antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache Webster Groves, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Webster Groves, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Webster Groves, MO begins by} identifying the origin of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Webster Groves, MO team of dental care professionals provides families across the Webster Groves, MO area access to skilled dental services, including treatments to address toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.