Access professional dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Hazelwood, MO: an extremely common dental complaint that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, Hazelwood, MO dentistry has come a long way in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Hazelwood, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals around Hazelwood, MO, we bring quality dental services that are effective against dental ailments like toothaches for all dental patients in the Greater Hazelwood, MO region. Get more information on the dental care we provide in the Hazelwood, MO area or schedule your toothache treatment today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can differ–in addition to the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the source of the toothache. When you have a toothache in Hazelwood, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Production of pus from the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Hazelwood, MO Causes of Toothache
A toothache can have various causes. Teeth are actually made up of soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or discernible. However, when cavities are untreated, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can break or move out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Hazelwood, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache usually come with swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. The grinding causes the nerves inside the tooth to become irritated, causing a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Hazelwood, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. Impaction introduces pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental issue. You may experience toothache symptoms without any of the above dental problems. Rather, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection that creates pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, it is best to first receive medical attention for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Hazelwood, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to practice proper oral hygiene and safety when playing sports. However, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without professional care, your Hazelwood, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Hazelwood, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. In a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it as an access point to clear out all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Hazelwood, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Hazelwood, MO toothache treatment team is qualified to provide the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Hazelwood, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection may be managed by taking antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Hazelwood, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Hazelwood, MO begins by} identifying the cause of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Hazelwood, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the Hazelwood, MO area quality dental services, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.