Quality Northwoods, MO dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache Northwoods, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental issue that we all hope we can avoid. Luckily, Northwoods, MO dentistry has made significant advances in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Dental care is important, and you should be able to put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Northwoods, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. As leaders among dental providers in the Northwoods, MO area, we provide quality dental treatments and procedures that effectively address dental ailments like toothaches for all dental patients in the Greater Northwoods, MO region. Get more information about the dental care we provide in the Northwoods, MO area or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can vary–as well as the other symptoms–and are based on the source of the toothache. When you have a toothache in Northwoods, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums surrounding the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Production of pus near the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Northwoods, MO Causes of Toothache
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, which consists of nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely detectable. However, when cavities are unaddressed, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can crack or shift out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Northwoods, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. An abscess-related toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth at night or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can turn into a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Northwoods, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This puts pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental issue. You could be suffering from toothache symptoms that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection putting pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Northwoods, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is preventative care, including practicing oral care and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though certain toothache causes may not require professional care, your Northwoods, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Northwoods, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it as an access point to clear out all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while getting rid of the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Northwoods, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Northwoods, MO toothache treatment team is qualified to provide the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Northwoods, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. For example, an infected tooth could be treated by taking antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office
- Pediatric Dentist
- Dental Restoration
Dental Care for Your Toothache Northwoods, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Northwoods, MO begins by} understanding the cause of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Northwoods, MO team of dental care professionals provides families across the Northwoods, MO area quality dental care, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. You do not have to live with ongoing toothache pain. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.