Quality Northwoods, MO dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache Northwoods, MO: an extremely common dental issue that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, the Northwoods, MO dental profession has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Northwoods, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. As leaders among dental professionals in the Northwoods, MO area, we bring quality dental services that are effective against toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Northwoods, MO area. Find out more on our Northwoods, MO area dental services or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but the quality and type of pain can be different–as well as the other symptoms–and are based on the origin of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Northwoods, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums around the tooth
- Red appearance around the affected area
- Pus or drainage around the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Northwoods, MO Causes of Toothache
A toothache can have various causes. Teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, filled with nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is minute–barely visible or noticeable. However, when cavities are unaddressed, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities have the potential to break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Northwoods, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can spread to the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. This type of toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Northwoods, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. Impaction applies pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You could be suffering from a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Northwoods, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to practice proper oral health and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. While certain toothache causes may not require professional care, your Northwoods, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Northwoods, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while removing the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Northwoods, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Northwoods, MO toothache treatment team is qualified to provide the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your Northwoods, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. For example, an infected tooth could be treated with antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
- Emergency Dentistry
Dental Care for Your Toothache Northwoods, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Northwoods, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Northwoods, MO begins by} determining the source of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Northwoods, MO team of dental care professionals provides families across the Northwoods, MO area access to skilled dental care, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.