Quality Bel-Nor, MO dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache Bel-Nor, MO: an extremely common dental problem that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, Bel-Nor, MO dentistry has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Bel-Nor, MO, it is important that you put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
When you need relief from your toothache in Bel-Nor, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. As leaders among dental providers around Bel-Nor, MO, we bring excellent dental care that work to target dental ailments like toothaches for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Bel-Nor, MO area. Learn more about our Bel-Nor, MO area dental services or schedule your toothache treatment today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but exactly what that pain feels like can differ–in addition to the other symptoms–depending on the origin of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Bel-Nor, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums around the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Production of pus around the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
Bel-Nor, MO Toothache Causes
Many different conditions and occurrences can cause a toothache. Teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extremely sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are very small and barely discernible. However, when cavities are untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can break or move out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Bel-Nor, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can spread to the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. An abscess-related toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth at night or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can turn into a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Bel-Nor, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – It is common for wisdom teeth to become impacted as they begin to come in. Impaction introduces pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth based on their location and orientation.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental condition. You could be suffering from a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, it is best to first receive medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Bel-Nor, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to maintain your oral hygiene and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. Unfotunately, though, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without treatment by a dental professional, there are several effective treatments your Bel-Nor, MO dentist can provide that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Bel-Nor, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. Both work against a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while removing the infected areas and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Bel-Nor, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Bel-Nor, MO toothache treatment team is qualified to provide the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Bel-Nor, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. For example, an infected tooth could be treated by taking antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache Bel-Nor, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Bel-Nor, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Bel-Nor, MO begins by} understanding the origin of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Bel-Nor, MO team of dental care professionals offers families across the Bel-Nor, MO area access to skilled dental services, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.