Access professional dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Bel-Nor, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental plight that we all hope we can avoid. Luckily, Bel-Nor, MO dentistry has come a long way in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Bel-Nor, MO, it is important that you put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
When you need relief from your toothache in Bel-Nor, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. As leaders among dental providers around Bel-Nor, MO, we bring excellent dental services that work to target dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Bel-Nor, MO region. Find out more on our Bel-Nor, MO area dental services or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but exactly what that pain feels like can differ–in addition to the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the source of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Bel-Nor, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Pus or drainage around the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Bel-Nor, MO Toothache Causes
Many different conditions and occurrences can cause a toothache. Our teeth are actually made up of soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are very small and barely visible. However, when cavities are untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Bel-Nor, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it in their sleep or when stressed. Habitual grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Bel-Nor, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. This applies pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You could be suffering from a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection putting pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek the proper medical treatment for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Bel-Nor, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to maintain your oral care and safety when playing sports. However, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. While sometimes a toothache can be resolved without professional care, there are several effective treatments your Bel-Nor, MO dentist can provide that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Bel-Nor, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. During a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it to remove all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Bel-Nor, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. The Bel-Nor, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center can perform a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Bel-Nor, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection may be treated by taking antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office
- Pediatric Dentist
Dental Care for Your Toothache Bel-Nor, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Bel-Nor, MO begins by} identifying the cause of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Bel-Nor, MO team of dental care professionals provides families across the Bel-Nor, MO area access to skilled dental care, including treatments for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.