Access professional dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache Florissant, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental issue that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, Florissant, MO dentistry has made significant advances in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Florissant, MO, it is important that you put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
When you need relief from your toothache in Florissant, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. As leaders among dental providers around Florissant, MO, we provide excellent dental care that work to target dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for all dental patients in the Greater Florissant, MO region. Find out more on our Florissant, MO area dental services or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but the quality and type of pain can differ–in addition to the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the source of the toothache. When you have a toothache in Florissant, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Production of pus from the infected tooth
- An unpleasant taste or smell coming from the tooth
Florissant, MO Toothache Causes
A toothache can have various causes. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, filled with nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extraordinarily sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are very small and barely discernible, but if left unaddressed, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can break or move out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Florissant, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. An abscess-related toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it in their sleep or when stressed. Habitual grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Florissant, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. Impaction applies pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You could be suffering from a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, you should first seek medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Florissant, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to maintain your oral health and safety when playing sports. However, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. While certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, your Florissant, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Florissant, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to clear out all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Florissant, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. The Florissant, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Florissant, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection could be treated with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Florissant, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Florissant, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Florissant, MO begins by} identifying the origin of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Florissant, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center provides families across the Florissant, MO area quality dental services, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.