Access professional dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Overland, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental problem that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, the Overland, MO dental profession has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
When you need relief from your toothache in Overland, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals around Overland, MO, we bring excellent dental work and procedures that effectively address dental ailments like toothaches for all dental patients in the Greater Overland, MO area. Get more information about the dental care we provide in the Overland, MO area or schedule your toothache treatment today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but the quality and type of pain can differ–in addition to the other symptoms–depending on the origin of the toothache. When you have a toothache in Overland, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness around the affected area
- Pus or drainage near the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
Overland, MO Causes of Toothache
Many different conditions and occurrences can cause a toothache. Our teeth are actually made up of soft tissue on the inside, filled with nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extraordinarily sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or detectable. However, when cavities are unaddressed, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities have the potential to break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Overland, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. An abscess-related toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. The grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that tooth roots may become exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Overland, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. Impaction puts pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental issue. You may experience a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Instead, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection putting pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, you should first seek medical attention for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Overland, MO
The best defense against toothaches is preventative care, including practicing oral care and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, there are several effective treatments your Overland, MO dentist can provide that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Overland, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. They work against a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it to remove all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while getting rid of the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Overland, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. The Overland, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Overland, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection may be managed by taking antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Overland, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Overland, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Overland, MO begins by} identifying the source of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Overland, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the Overland, MO area quality dental services, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.